Tuesday 13 August 2013

My Race For Life (5k): 14th July, Hyde Park (Part One)

Signing up for the Race For Life was my first big challenge. I'm a very goal-motivated person - if I can't see a point then I don't want to do it. While it was nice to see myself making progress with the C25K plan, I certainly wasn't dedicated.

I wasn't aiming for a particular goal or trying specifically to lose weight, so on days when I though "ahh I can't really be bothered with this", I just stayed there on my bed watching Gossip Girl.

I found all sorts of excuses not to put my trainers on and just get on with it: I just ate, I'm too hungry, it's starting to get dark, it's too cold, it's too hot, I have work to do (yeah like I ever actually did any), on and on it went.

So finally in a moment of madness I signed up to the Race For Life. Well, more specifically in a moment of trying to avoid my Business Journalism assignment. But whatever.

I had always thought it sounded like a great thing to do, but up until this point I firmly believed that races were for runners. You know, those people up pounding the pavements at the crack of dawn with their neon lycra on (yes I have since bought some neon lycra and yes I am thoroughly ashamed). My interest was particularly piqued when I saw the newest Race For Life advert on TV.



But it was only when a family member got diagnosed with cancer that I decided to put my money where my mouth was and sign up.

It had exactly the effect I needed. I stopped making quite so many excuses. Drizzle was no longer a legitimate reason to skip a run. I wanted to run that race and I wanted to do it properly.

Once this arrived, I knew I had to go through with it

I followed the C25K plan and made it all the way to my 'graduation run', a half hour non-stop. Although initially very pleased (this was real progress for a girl who thought she was going to die after 10 minutes light jogging), I soon realised that I wasn't even hitting 4k in this time. 

I knew I needed to train harder, but with my final MA exams looming, there simply wasn't the time left.

I was going to have to chance it on the day.

Check out Part Two to find out what happened to me when 14th July rolled around and I found myself in Hyde Park on the hottest day of the year so far...

Harris x

No comments:

Post a Comment