Saturday 24 May 2014

Update: A thousand and one ways to worry about your first half marathon

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGHHHHHHHHHHH

That's pretty much all that's going through my mind now that the Liverpool Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon is almost here.

Looks like this is really happening.

That and a whole list of worries including:

  • What if I just can't do it?
  • What if my knee gives out (it's been giving me a bit of gip)?
  • What if I fall over?
  • What if I have a wardrobe malfunction?
  • What if I have an explicable need to go to the toilet?
  • What if I somehow miss a route marker and get completely lost?
And the list gets longer and longer the closer I get.

The first is definitely the most prominent - what if I just can't do it? I've done just over 15km in training and a half marathon is 21k. Maybe I'm woefully underprepared. Maybe I was lazy and slapdash with my training. Maybe I haven't thought nearly enough about my nutrition (last night's Domino's counts as good carbo-loading right?). Maybe I should have got my knee properly looked at. Maybe it's all going to go totally tits-up.

But enough of the relentless worrying, it's too late to turn back now. I travel up to north Wales tonight to stay with a friend before tomorrow's painfully early start and trip over to Liverpool. The day is almost here and although my primary feeling right now is simply sheer terror,  I must admit I'm also incredibly excited. I've read so many race reports of half marathons and now it's finally my turn. I'm running a half marathon!

So maybe it will all go wrong. Or maybe, just maybe, it will work out. 

Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

Harris x

No comments:

Post a Comment